The Shaw Atlas
Welcome to The Shaw Atlas, the monthly newsletter from Shaw & Associates, CPAs & Financial Advisors. We look forward to keeping you abreast of ever-changing tax codes, providing you with money saving accounting tips and illustrating proactive strategies to help you achieve the financial life you envision.
April is here and tax season is almost over, we are counting the hours to April 15th! This month we have asked Dave Palm, a private banker with Wells Fargo, to give us some tips on how to make our banking life easier. You may remember Dave who was a valuable past member of the Shaw & Associates team. I hope you enjoy his interesting ways to automate your banking life.
This month we are spotlighting our long-time client and good friend Sonja Schuh and her company Colorado Activities Concierge. Sonja is the kind of person who has always given 110% to her work and I have absolute confidence she will bring this integrity to each and every client she services. Her work ethic is impeccable and there is no friendlier person on the face of the earth! If you are looking for someone to help schedule activities, please give her a call.
Life is Busy… 8 Easy Tips to Save Time on Banking
By Dave Palm, Wells Fargo Private Banker
With our fast-paced lives today, it sometimes becomes hard to manage everything that gets thrown our direction. Banking and managing your finances don’t have to be among the tasks that consume a large portion of your time. Here are some tips that you may not be aware of to help add some simplicity and flexibility to your life.
1) Online banking – A lot has changed over the 20 years that online banking has been around. The ability to do your banking anytime, anywhere with an internet connection and a computer has evolved from checking your balances to full functionality on just about any banking need you might want to perform. This really is the foundation for adding simplicity and flexibility to your financial matters.
2) Online bill payments – With online bill-pay services, the bank will pay your bills on your behalf. You simply enter the information on who, when, where and how much and the bank sends your payment. Even better, once the information is entered, it is stored for the next time you want to send a payment. And for regular bills such as your mortgage and utilities, you can set up reoccurring payments.
3) Mobile banking and deposits – With the surge in smartphones, the next logical progression is to take your online banking to your phone. You can do your banking while waiting at the DMV and transfer money or send a payment right from your smartphone. Do you ever get a check that you just can’t find time to run to the bank to deposit? Now, you can just take a picture of it with your smartphone and deposit it right into your account from the convenience of your home.
4) Transfers – Did you know that the technology is available to transfer money directly to someone without knowing their account number? For example, with the Wells Fargo SurePaySM service, you can send money to anyone with an eligible U.S. deposit account using their email address. Talk about a great way to send money to a friend, family member, baby sitter, plumber or landlord without having to give out confidential account numbers.
5) Account alerts – Protect yourself by setting your accounts so you get text messages or emails when certain events happen – a payment is posted, a deposit is made, your account balance is getting low, transactions over a certain dollar amount post to your account, and more. These are just a few of the alerts you can set to help you monitor you accounts. This is a great tool to stay on top of your accounts and a wonderful way to help stay alert to fraudulent activity.
6) Direct deposits and automatic payments – Automate as much as you can. Talk with your employer about directly depositing your paycheck. Set up your bills and loan payments to come out automatically. This can help eliminate late payments due to an oversight, travel or bills getting lost. The tools and technology are available such that you can set your bills to pay in advance and not have to worry about payments and deposits.
7) Desktop deposits – For busy business owners a trip to the bank is just one more task that takes them away from running their business. Why not deposit the checks by swiping them and having them deposited directly into a business account from the convenience of their desk?
8) Guest users – Did you know that you can designate guest users for the accounts you choose to allow your bookkeeper or CPA, for example, to view them online? While guest users can view the accounts, they can’t perform any transactions. This is a great tool to help you manage your business and finances while sharing the information with the professionals you trust.
These are just a few examples of some of the uses of technology and how it can add efficiency – saving you time and money – to your busy life. Talk with your banker about the options that might be right for you.
David Palm is a Wells Fargo Private Banker with 16 years of experience in the banking and financial services industry. He is based in Fort Collins and can be reached at 970-225-7929 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Client Spotlight – Colorado Activities Concierge
Spring is here and summer is right around the bend! It’s time to start planning your outdoor fun. Do your employees need to get energized and motivated? Does the family have “spring fever?” Allow your local experts to plan and schedule your next unforgettable outdoor activity ~ and support Colorado businesses!
Colorado Activities Concierge, LLC is a local activity planning and scheduling service. We will save you time, money and effort planning your next employee incentive outing, family excursion or relaxing weekend getaway. Our local experts will arrange unique, memorable activities that are perfect for you or your group. We only work with the best, most highly-rated activity companies in Colorado. Our direct experience assures you an extraordinary adventure!
We offer a variety of exciting activity options for all ages and abilities. Saddle up for a classic western cattle drive or horseback ride. Try a scenic rafting excursion or an exhilarating zip lining tour! How about a relaxing day on a guided fly fishing trip or a breathtaking hot air balloon ride. What’s YOUR adventure?
Visit http://coloradoactivitiesconcierge.com or call 970.999.2697 to start your reservation today!
Shaw & Associates, CPA, PC are an exceptional team of professionals. They have handled my financial matters & tax preparation for over 11 years. Kevin Shaw and his staff are responsive, easy to work with and friendly. Not only are they my trusted advisors, they are like family. Kevin has always offered me the best advice and direction. He is extremely thorough in his work and dedicated to his clients. I value Shaw & Associates’ services as they make the entire process effortless. They are very supportive, knowledgeable and up-to-date on new laws and legislation. In addition, I admire them because they are a community-minded business that supports over a dozen local charities and non-profit organizations. Thank you Shaw & Associates for everything you offer your clients and your community! You are appreciated!
Owner, Adventure Agent
Colorado Activities Concierge