The Shaw Atlas
Welcome to The Shaw Atlas, the monthly newsletter from Shaw & Associates, CPAs & Financial Advisors. We look forward to keeping you abreast of ever-changing tax codes, providing you with money saving accounting tips and illustrating proactive strategies to help you achieve the financial life you envision.
Each month during tax season we have invited guest writers with expertise in areas we believe are important to our client’s finances to write an article for our newsletter. This month we have a great article from John Selzer Jr. of Capital Point Financial Group who works closely with many Shaw & Associates clients on short and long term financial planning. Please enjoy this informative article.
Why Plan for Retirement?
By John Selzer Jr., CFP
Capital Point Financial Group, LTD.
It is one of the only goals that you and I can have in life that we cannot take a loan out to accomplish the goal. Nature is going to win. You will someday decide that you do not want to do what you do anymore or nature throws you a surprise and you cannot do what you do anymore professionally so you are gently driven into retirement.
Consider these 10 Healthy Beliefs for Retirement Planning:
- Look at retirement as a new opportunity for you and your family by retiring to something versus retiring from something.
- Set your retirement financial goals around good, better and best for maximum flexibility.
- Work hard to find your financial blind spots, your financial errors and your financial omissions to discover your alternatives.
- Match your financial goals to short term (5 years or less), medium term (5-10 years) and long term (10+ years) time frames.
- Turn off the media and all of the noise that goes with it.
- Work with an advisor and their team that specializes in all aspects of retirement planning.
- Recognize your biggest risk is outliving your assets… living too long.
- Know your monthly financial need for retirement years in advance and work hard to adhere to it. Have no debt (consumer, car, home etc.) as well as save and invest monthly to produce additional value.
- Provide financial confidence for your spouse when a partner passes away or becomes incapacitated.
- Know your healthcare and prescription alternatives.
Client Spotlight – The Kinzli Team at RE/MAX Alliance
The Kinzli Team has been serving the residents of Northern Colorado since 1980. As respected real estate agents with a reputation for honesty and integrity, the Kinzli Team brings exceptional real estate knowledge and negotiation skills to each of our real estate transactions. We are the local experts. Lou and Linda have lived in Colorado since the 1960’s and Tyler and Kareen are natives of Fort Collins. We specialize in Fort Collins, Wellington, and the surrounding areas, and can assist with residential home sales, new construction, residential acreages and horse property, farm and ranch property, and vacant land and rural land developments.
The key to success lies in the people you surround yourself with. Shaw & Associates has been an invaluable, behind the scenes, member of The Kinzli Team at RE/MAX Alliance for the past 12 years. Kevin plays a direct role in the success of our business and we can honestly say that no major decision is made without his direct input and consultation.
Kevin has a keen ability to see the big picture, identify goals, and help avoid significant financial or tax pitfalls along the way. He has been a direct team player in everything from development projects, advice on 1031 tax-deferred exchanges, general tax questions for us as individuals and our customers, and real estate and securities investment assistance. Marcy, Susan, and Cassy are always there to lend a patient and helping hand with the seemingly endless stream of IRS forms and requirements. They take care of the details so we can concentrate on what we do best, helping buyers and sellers with their real estate transactions.
If you, or anyone you know, need real estate help in the coming year, give us a call. We would be happy to sit down and give you insights into the latest trends in the Northern Colorado market. For more information visit www.kinzlirealestate.com.
Lou & Linda Kinzli, Kareen Kinzli Larsen, & Tyler James
The Kinzli Team at RE/MAX Alliance
Fun Facts about Valentine’s Day
Many believe that the X symbol is synonymous with the kiss because in medieval times people who couldn’t write their names signed in front of a witness with an X. The X was then kissed to show their sincerity.
In the Middle Ages, young men and women drew names from a bowl to see who would be their Valentine. They would wear this name pinned onto their sleeves for one week for everyone to see. This was the origin of the expression “to wear your heart on your sleeve.”
England’s King Henry VII officially declared Feb. 14 the holiday of St. Valentine’s Day in 1537.